Q: How often do we need to disavow?
Penguin 4.0 now detects spam signals in real time. This makes Link Risk Management, the practice of proactive link audits and disavows, even more important for your business – and we always recommended to do it at least on a weekly basis. Just have in mind that Google crawls the web daily.

Q: Does it make sense to upload a new Disavow file at this point?
We always recommended disavowing at least on a weekly basis. Just have in mind that Google crawls the web daily. So at this point, it would make sense to upload a new disavow file if you haven’t already.

Q: What are your thoughts on Google getting rid of the disavow tool? With no disavow, how will webmasters combat malicious black hat linking to your site? Is this now part of the Google algorithm?
Google never said that it will get rid of the Disavow tool. Gary Illyes confirmed that they still have the tool and we should continue using it. In his statement, he only commented, that Google has “less need” for users disavowing bad links.
We still think that using the Disavow Tool, now that Penguin is part of Google’s core Algorithm, is very important.

Q: Are disavows as effective as they were before Penguin 4.0?
Google will process the disavows just like they did in the past – when they crawl the links. From that point of view, nothing should change. The question is: will your links get crawled faster? Probably not. This is why we recommend using Link Detox Boost. We built Link Detox Boost to help you push the Google bot into re-crawling the low-quality links you have already asked Google to disavow.
Read more about this here.

Q: With disavow, how important is it to manually contact webmasters to get bad links removed?
Our recommendation was always to first disavow and then reach out to people to have those links removed. Quite often webmasters will not get back to your link removal requests, but it’s always worth a try. We’ve seen some Penguin penalty recoveries without having any links removed. But have in mind that you need to have the links removed especially when your website has a Manual Action.

Q: Should all the URLs with DTOXRISK = high be disavowed even though the websites look okay at first sight?
We always recommend reviewing all the links to see if they have any value to you and also check which SUSP rules they trigger. It is up to you if you want to disavow them or not. Also, have in mind that we take into consideration the theme of the website when calculating the DTOXRISK. If your website is about gambling, you need to specify the right theme when starting a Link Detox report. An online gambling link can have a high DTOXRISK for an e-commerce website, but it may have very low DTOXRISK for a gambling website.

Q: Will I have a drop in rankings when disavowing toxic links?
Disavowing Links can always mean a drop in rankings. On the other hand, you risk a Penguin Penalty if you choose not to disavow the high DTOXRISK toxic links. The SEO has to decide, whether to disavow links or not. We recommend using CDTOX and check, which risk level is natural for your market.

Q: When I have a site with very little links in a very “clean” market, should I be extra careful with disavows?
If your market has a very low risk, you should disavow exactly enough to have a Risk on a similarly low level.

Q: When I have a domain like domain.com/language (/en /de, etc.), where should I add the disavow file. On the main Domain or on the /en?
In Google Search Console you can add multiple domains, subdomains, and subfolder as properties. We recommend uploading the disavow file to all of them. We also recommend that you have separate properties for http and https and uploading separate disavow files for each.

Q: We have a lot of spammy links called e.g. thiruyada.xyz – what shall we do?
You should disavow the entire domain. If you continue to get spammy links from this domain, then Google will not count them in the future if you disavow the whole domain.

Q: I have a disavow file with about 110 links. What would be the best product to make Google re-crawl the links in it faster?
We recommend the Link Detox Boost, which is available starting with the Superhero-Account.

Q: I have a big disavow-file: Should I upload all at once or split it into parts?
Google only supports a single disavow file. You should start with the riskiest links and then update the disavow file on an ongoing basis.
EasyMoney Reviewed by EasyMoney on . Penguin 4.0 Questions & Answers What we found out about the Penguin 4.0 https://i.imgur.com/6lAgXsU.png Times just got really exciting with the Penguin 4.0 update, as it is now integrated into Google's Core Algorithm. This is not going to be a Penguin update like the previous ones, where Google will announce a specific number of affected queries after a complete roll out. This update is ongoing and it will affect rankings in real time. Therefore, there will not be a complete roll out like before. Also, this is the Rating: 5